Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wrestling and Basketball camp

For those who don't know, Cauley used to coach wrestling for 3 or so years at Higley. My boys have always loved climbing on Cauley and "wrestling" with anyone who wants to try and pin them down or wrestle. When Cauley got an email from Coach Johnson (a friend of Cauley's) from Perry High School about a wrestling camp, we jumped at the chance! It started the week after school got out for the summer. Cauley drove the kids down the first few days and then I got the chance to go sit for 3 hours and watch. The last day was just a wrestling match- boys paired up as close to height and weight against each other. (although both my boys wrestled older, taller, and heavier kids, but hey, it was just for fun!) To say the boys had fun is a complete understatement!!! On the first day, Cauley texted me to tell me McKade kept dancing while the "coaches," aka high school wrestlers, were showing them how to do things. He also didn't want to try take-downs- he just let his partner repeatedly take him down. He's such a goofball!

When the last day came, I was a very proud momma! McKade was, well himself. He didn't take things serious until the overtime period. The boy he wrestled was taller, but McKade's constant smile made this kid smile too. Notice in the bottom pics of McKade, him riding his partner- he would wrap himself around and just hold on. He ended up winning in overtime as he did a great shoot and take down!

Dallin really surprised me. He is so mellow at things and while watching him practice moves and warming up, he was just that- mellow. Before he went to wrestle, I said "Go after it!" (something Cauley tells people often.) Well, he did just that! The kid he wrestled definitely had a few years experience on him and was doing some pretty fancy moves that they weren't taught at the camp. Dallin fought hard and always got out of some sticky situations. Going into the 3rd period, Dallin was up by one point, but ended up losing to points at the end. Again, I was a very proud momma! They both got t-shirts and a medal, either gold or silver depending on how you did in your match.








I don't have pictures for the basketball camp, but just for journaling purposes, I'm tying it in. Cauley had to go to a conference/workshop/class thing in Tuscon the next week because he's going to be teaching AP Chemistry this year. He was gone almost all week and we'll just say I missed him dearly! On Wednesday, My father-in-law, Mike, took the boys over to Dobson high school to a basketball camp, where Cauley graduated and where Mike taught and coached for 25 years. They had fun, but we honestly haven't done much with them and basketball yet. Anyways, the following week, when Cauley was home, he took the boys to Dobson (about an hour away from our house!) Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. They had a great time and learned lots. Dallin did awesome and McKade, well, I guess he did learn how to dribble. Halli went with them the last day as I had to take Tyli to the Dr- more to come on that one in a minute. She also learned to dribble. They got medals and a basketball.

No comments: