Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Another broken bone...
Yep. That's the way we roll around here. This one happened when Cauley was in Tuscon for his class/conference/seminar thing he had to go to for a week. The 3 older kids were downstairs watching a movie and Halli was sleeping and I was upstairs riding our recumbent bike. Anyways, the movie ended and the kids started running around playing tag. Tyli did exactly what we always tell all 4 kids NOT to do ALL. THE. TIME! and was trying to get away from McKade and so she climbed over the back of the couch. Well, she didn't move fast enough and got tagged, sending her to the floor differently the feet first. I heard her fall and cry and thought, what now? She came upstairs and told me McKade had pushed her off the couch and she hurt her arm. I told her to sit for a few minutes and it'll feel better. 20 minutes later, I heard her still crying and so I had her come upstairs where she said "It hurts like when I broke it last year." I took one look at it, hoped off the bike and into the shower while texting Cauley and calling my father-in-law. Her elbow was huge and distorted looking. Seriously, it makes me queasy to think about still. Mike came and stayed with the kids while I took her to urgent care. The receptionist was very nice and they got us back quick. After x-rays, the radiologist walked us back to our room exclaiming "that must have been a really high couch." Um, no, it's not really, but ok. The Dr looked at the x-rays and said there were a couple of suspicious spots, but not broken. I was thankful it wasn't broken and got the referral and paperwork to go to an orthopedic specialist while they put her in a hard splint like last time. The radiologist was walking us out and the receptionist said "oh, it was broken!" I said "no, just a few suspicious spots." The radiologist said "um, yes it is broken. The dr even put that on the discharge papers, but I'm the one who read the x-ray. It is broken." Hu????? She then told us to call the specialist right away. We got done, Cauley headed home, and then I called the specialist who got us in the next day. My sister-in-law, Jaclyn, went with me to the specialist. They did an x-ray and immediately he said there is one break, and then after another he said "and there is another." One was a normal fracture. The other, they couldn't tell if it was broken clear through or not but it didn't matter as the bone wasn't pulling away from itself. That one was more serious as it went up the bone instead of across, so we had to watch it closer. They immediately put on a cast, and when it was dried, they sawed it in two to "vent" it so her arm could still swell. They wrapped an ace bandage around that to keep it put together. We went in 4 days later to get another layer of plaster put around it. Tyli chose light blue because it's her favorite. When we go home I pulled out my sparkly glue and lubed up her cast, blow drying it afterward to make it sparkly. Then she practically asked everyone she saw to sign it. After 4 weeks, it is supposed to come off tomorrow. Hopefully. I want to go swimming, but not as bad as she does!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment