Friday, January 29, 2010

Not My Idea of Fun!

So, last Thursday, as I was hurrying the 2 younger kids to get down the stairs to get dressed so we could get ready for preschool, I fell. I was carrying an arm load of clothes and started to slip, slightly twisting my left ankle. With my belly getting larger due to being 26 weeks, it threw me off balance, sending me toward the bottom of our stairs. My immediate thought was, SAVE the BABY! So, once I started going forward, I did the opposite and threw myself backward, somehow catching my right foot. When I came to a stop, about 5 stairs down (luckily only 5!) I was in so much pain!
After calming both kids down who were somewhat freaked out from watching me fall, I was able to have McKade get me the phone and then run across the street to get the neighbors. I couldn't get a hold of my in-laws, so I called Cauley's school and they let me right through to his classroom. He came as soon as he could get out the door, and, can I just say I am SO thankful for wonderful friends and neighbors who all jumped into action to help out! I, myself, was a little bit freaking out, looking at my big toe which was going the wrong direction and my foot that was increasingly getting larger by the minute. Brianna and Stephanie both stayed with me until Cauley got here and then Steph took my kids over to her house while we loaded up and headed out. Brianna had lent me some crutches, but with the left ankle hurting too, they seemed useless.
We went to the Urgent Care that's pretty close to our house. We didn't have to wait long, and I think their service is great! The Dr. I saw was hesitant to do x-rays because of me being pregnant, but they were able to find a big 50 lb. apron that they could shield me and the baby with. They only took 2 though, just in case. They came back shortly, telling me that my big toe was obviously broken, but the rest of my foot, despite his initial thinking of it being broken right under the ankle, looked to be only sprained. They gave me a walking shoe, exactly like the one McKade had this summer when he broke his big toe, some crutches, and a prescription for a low dose of pain meds, and told me to contact a foot doctor.
Nothing I did would alleviate the pain throughout my foot! The shoe allowed me to twist my ankle every direction, making that first night very unbearable! I don't think Cauley or I slept- I kept him up from all the pain I was in! The next day I called and got right in to the foot doctor. They decided to just use my x-rays from the urgent care because I am pregnant, but I got a little different prognosis. This time, after looking at the x-rays, they discovered that I had indeed fractured my foot where the other Dr. suspected a break. He also said he knew exactly how it all happened; When I had fallen, I must have caught my toes, mainly my big one when I started to fall, allowing my foot to "fold over" itself. Then, when I had thrown myself backward, I bent my foot in half, twisting as I went down. This doctor also found more areas of my foot that are to now be "watched" as both tendons and ligaments are very pulled, some more possibly being snapped. I was amazed at the x-ray of my big toe, seeing the big piece of bone completely apart from the rest of my foot. (It broke at the joint, right where it all connects to my foot.) That part, the Dr. said will more than likely need surgery after I have this baby.=( He told me the shoe I was given isn't good enough for my "broken foot", leaving me trying to get around with a big "boot" on instead. (So much more like able than a cast!)
That night was MUCH better sleeping, although Cauley said I still whimpered as I slept. I had a hard time at first getting around in the boot, but have now lost the aid of the crutches and am starting to walk somewhat human again. (although, I must look odd, limping like crazy and being big preggo!)
I have now been "resting" for a week, which has been both nice and awful! I have been able to catch up on a lot of Relief Society stuff, mainly phone calls, paperwork, and organizing things. At the same time, I can't drive with this boot on (it doesn't allow you to move your foot down to push on the peddle, plus, I will be cited if ever getting into a crash with it on.) so we are going STIR CRAZY!! My little ones are going so nuts that I had to lock myself in my bathroom earlier today for a good cry because of everything around the house they've gotten into and destroyed. They're smart. Too smart. If I'm upstairs, they're downstairs getting into something, and then when I make the adventure down, they come upstairs to destroy something else. NAUGHTY!!! So, although I have had a week of not going on visits, grocery shopping, running kids to and from places they need to be, I am ready for some freedom!
Now Cauley told me not to brag about him, but I can't help it. I just have to say how thankful I am for him and all his help and support the past week! He has been the one to do EVERYTHING around the house (except teaching preschool) all while doing his everyday job of teaching and coaching. He has been sick this week, making it even harder, but he hasn't complained. Last Saturday he cleaned the house from top to bottom, doing all laundry, dishes, bathrooms, bedrooms, and vacuuming. Oh how I love him!!! Thank you, Babe!

No comments: