Tuesday, April 14, 2009

And don't you dare answer "because" or it gets worse!

This is what a day living with my 3 year old, McKade is like. I love him to pieces, but seriously, this needs to be stopped!

Why is it morning? (That’s usually the first thing we hear out of him each day.) Why is it still dark? (Why aren’t you still in bed if it’s still dark?) Why isn’t Daddy in bed? Why does Daddy have to go to work? Why do we need money? Why do we eat cereal for breakfast? Why are you still tired, Mommy? Why do cows eat hay? Why does Dallin go to school? Why does he take a backpack? Why are you not putting your socks on with your shoes? Why are we late? Why are you driving so fast? Why are we behind that black truck? Why do we have to come home? Why are you showering? Why do we have to stay out here? Why are you locking the door? Why is there a door on the closet? Why does Tyli smell like poop? (Why don’t you go change her!) Why is your blowdryer so loud? Why do you have to do the dishes? Why are they dirty? Why do you use that towel? Why are you sweeping? (For the second time already today!)Why do we have to pick up Dallin from school? Why are we behind a red car? Why are you driving so slow? (Ever heard of a school zone, kid?) Why do we have to come home? Why can’t we eat lunch yet? Why do we need to eat? (Aren’t you the same kid who’s asked for lunch for the past hour and a half?) Why do I like sandwiches? Why can’t you buy (soda) pop? Why can’t we go to Burger King? (He actually calls it Hamburger King.) Why does Chim Chim (our dog) jump on me? Why is he going pee in the grass? Why are you talking on the phone? Why do you have to talk to her/him? Why does Dallin always play Mario Cart? Why are you getting angry? Why can’t we have candy for a snack? (You can actually insert this about 100 times because it’s actually said all day long!) Why is it quiet time? Why are you needing a 5 minute time-out from me? (5 minutes isn’t long enough!) Why do you want Daddy to come home? Why are you making dinner? Why did you put that in our food? (It’s garlic salt- it’s nearly impossible to make garlic bread without it!) Why is that food smoking? (steaming.) Why isn’t Daddy home yet? (I don’t know- I think he’s avoiding all of the questions!) Why do I have to wash my hands? Why did you give me so much food? Why can’t I have more dinner? Why can’t we have bessert (dessert) yet? (It could be because none of us are finished with dinner or the fact that we only have dessert on very rare occasions!) Why does Daddy always go to the bathroom when he gets home? Why does he take so long? (Sorry Honey, I’m trying to give everyone a real perspective of my day! I think he takes so long because he too is already tired of answering these questions!) Why is it getting dark outside? Why am I tired? Why can’t we go to bed? (Because it’s only 6:30! and I’m not waking up this early again tomorrow!) Why are we not going for a walk? Why do we have to take a bath? Why is the water cold? Why can’t we have more water? Why can’t we splash? Why can’t we drink it? Why do we have to get out? Why is Chimmy hitting the door? Why didn’t you feed him yet? Why do we have to go to bed? Why aren’t we reading scriptures? Why are we reading scriptures now? Why do we have to fold our arms? (really, we have said prayers every night long before he was born, and we say them several times throughout the day too!) Why is it Tyli’s turn? Why are we going to bed? Why is it nighttime?

Really, in all fairness, I have to say this is only about a fourth of his questions he asks in a day. I'll dave his "How..." questions for another time!

4 comments:

Just US said...

You should invest in some good quality ear plugs! I know when Jorden was this age I started replying by asking him the same question he just asked me. Eventually he slowed down his questions a little bit - whether because he got tired of having to answer his own question or just got older I don't know but it worked and I managed to keep some sanity.

Jen said...

i say ask him "why do you think?"
it makes them think and they generally know the answers to the questions they are asking. it works wonders for all of our "why's"!

Momma Dianna said...

My kids did the same thing and it drove me totally insane. I felt like all I did all day long was answer questions after question! It got very old...but I can happily say that eventually they grow out of it and start answering things for themselves!

Reisner's said...

Payson does the same thing but man I don't think he is that extreme. I don't think I could handle that.
That is pretty funny but I probably only say that because again Payson isn't that extreme. One day you will look back on this and laugh.