I spent a portion of my day today with my sweet Ty Ty in the Urgent Care. Don't worry- she's fine, or will be within a few weeks. I basically blame myself, although I DO know that kids are kids and accidents happen. I wasn't paying much attention to her this morning (which once again proves to have bad outcomes!) and was trying to get some contract work scheduled for our new home. Since the kids were being so loud, I deemed it an "important" phone call and locked myself in my room so I could hear and understand my phone call. About 10 minutes later, I heard Tyli fall in the kitchen and start screaming. I immediatly hung up (the conversation wasn't going anywhere!) and ran out to find Tyli clutching her hand in a puddle of water she had dispensed from the fridge. Right next to her I found a 5 lb. weight plate (for lifting weights). I assessed everything and found she was favoring her hand a lot. My first exam turned up nothing- no blood- everything looked almost normal. She continued to scream and asked for a "big bandaid" and her daddy, so after about 5 minutes I looked again and her fingers were all starting to bruise and had swelled. I made the decision to take her in. (*By the way, I have to add here that I am SO grateful to have in-laws that live close by and that took my boys without hesitation. THANKS!!)
Ty and I headed off to Urgent Care where my little darling acted as if nothing was wrong. She was being really cute and VERY cooperative (aka: she was totally doped up on Tylenol!) and had all the nurses and even the doctor wrapped around her crushed fingers! Well, after 3 x-rays which she was PHENOMENAL for, the Dr. came in to show me all the little hairline fractures throughout her 3 middle fingers. They went ahead and splinted 2 of them together but they didn't have a wider splint so they gave me an extra one and a roll of the gauze/tape stuff to splint the other one if needed. Tyli was so excited to have "pink" (flesh colored) tape on. (They almost did blue, but she insisted on "pink!")
Once we were at the Clarks' to pick up my boys, I decided to go ahead and splint the other finger. It was fine, but didn't align all three broken fingers correctly so when we got to Cauley's track meet, I stopped the trainer and asked him if he had a wider splint to get all 3 fingers. He and another trainer came out with a splint that fits all 4 fingers, so that was good news. However, Tyli wouldn't keep it on. It was real easy to just slide off her little hand so after a while I held her down and taped the splint, wrapping it around her whole hand (around the thumb, down by the wrist) and since then it has stayed on! I wasn't home so I didn't have any Tylenol to keep in her system and I could definitely tell it was hurting her. She trys to use it, whimpers, and looks at it so sadly. As soon as I had some dinner in her, I gave her some Tylenol, which I hope is good enough for now. I hate seeing my babies in pain! I sure hope she gets better quickly!
4 comments:
that is so sad!! hope she feels better soon!
Oh poor girl. It's always tough to see your kids hurt. I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was though
Oh MAN!! What a bummer. I saw you pulling out of the school that night. Now I know why! I hope she gets better fast!
Hope she's okay!
Post a Comment