Sunday, May 8, 2011
My reward
Today is Mother's Day. I don't like Mother's Day. In fact, I really DISlike Mother's Day. I love the quote a friend gave at church today- in her own words she said, "I was once a perfect mother- for about 2 seconds until my first child was born." It's true. That's how I feel every day of my life. I especially dislike going to church on Mother's Day and hearing how perfect every other mother in the world is/has been. (Especially since I just yelled at one of my kids for not having shoes on as we walk out the door after they've just spent the past 5 minutes fighting or throwing a tantrum, or that one of my children usually has their lunch down the front of their church clothes even though they didn't even have their church clothes on when they ate the said lunch, or my daughter's hair, which looked absolutely ADORABLE a few minutes ago now has been taken out and redone to HER specifications, and so on.) Anyways, this Mother's Day was that way. I was happy to head out of the chapel during the prelude for the Sacrament hymn with Halli in arms to find Tyli who was MIA/in the bathroom since BEFORE the meeting even began. I was being overcome with my own doubts and bad feelings about me as a mother. As I stood in the foyer with both girls, these doubts and feelings became overpowering. A reminder of the squirming 1 year old in my arms who doesn't roll over still, doesn't crawl, doesn't pull up or cruise made me feel like I was doing everything in life wrong as a mother. However, right after I leaned forward and whispered for Tyli to fold her arms for the Sacrament prayer which was to be said, I caught a glimpse of this little baby who is delayed- arms folded, head bowed, and a sweet smile on her face. It was then that I KNEW. It was then that I received my best Mother's Day gift ever. My doubts about being a good enough mom flew away as I received confirmation that, although I am not a perfect mommy, I am doing my best, and more importantly, I doing what is expected of me by teaching my children the gospel, sharing with them it's truths. Teaching them things that they need to know and do in this life so we can be together forever. I hope I don't forget this lesson, and I pray I may have more Mother's Day rewards like today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment