Sunday, March 13, 2011
Kid #3, Broken arm #3
I don't know if this is a very good stat- broken arm #3 for our household. (Dallin and McKade broke theirs a few years ago, remember?) Anyways, we were at Cauley's Aunt and Uncle's house for a family get together when Tyli, who was getting off the trampoline in the backyard, fell forward and landed on her arm. There was no absolute scream, just crying, but I could tell she was really hurt. the problem was, I couldn't tell WHERE. I decided we should have her daddy who was at home doing homework take a look at it so we loaded up and went home. After a blessing and Cauley looking at it, we decided I had better take her to the Urgent Care. She cried every time I went over a bump on the way there, but still didn't know exactly where it hurt. It was 8:20 when I arrived at Urgent Care and was told I had a 4 hour wait. RRRRRRR! Well, I occupied my time by making friends with others waiting to be seen. Tyli fell asleep in my arms somewhere around 11:00, and even though she was really heavy and hurting me, I didn't dare wake or move her as she would cry. Sometime around 12:40 I was finally called back to see the dr. (we were somehow the last patients seen, even though there was about 8 people who checked in after us!) We didn't ever see the dr. at first, just the radiologist who needed to know where to x-ray. Tyli was SO out and so we had a hard time finding exactly where to x-ray, but would cry whenever we moved her wrist so we decided to start there. Well, when the radiologist moved her wrist to x-ray it, it woke Tyli up and she started screaming. Hmmm...mystery solved? No. We then go to talk with the dr. who told me her wrist was fine.(?) When the dr. moved her arm though, Tyli again woke up screaming and so we went back to x-ray where they x-rayed her elbow. This time the dr. said there was a "suspicious" part where the fat had been pulled away from the bone with a small streak of blood underneath which usually means a break, but she wanted to just put it in a sling and send us home. I asked about her wrist, and the dr. said "oh yes, Bonnie (I can't really remember her name) said it was very badly sprained." Then she said again that she only needed a sling and that is when I told her no, put it in a splint! As I was saying this, the nurse walked in with everything to make the splint and so the dr told her to put it on and that in the meantime, she was going home. The confused nurse said, "I thought she might have a broken elbow and a badly sprained wrist so why wasn't she going to put it in a splint?" Hahaha! Good question! I was SO ready to scream! Anyways, we got it splinted and then went home, arriving around 2 am. (see the above picture of Tyli) Well, 2 days later, I got a call from the radiologist who read the x-ray saying indeed it was broken, and not even where the dr. thought it was suspicious. So I made an appointment with a Phoenix Children's specialist to get it casted and called to have them transfer records and x-rays from the urgent care. That Friday we drove over to the specialist's office for more x-rays. The dr. again couldn't see a break, just the "suspicious area." I asked about the radiologists finding, and he told me he had no such report and to come back in another week so they could look for bone growth and at that point they would cast it. I was quite frustrated at this point! So, after another week of wearing the splint, we again went back to have more x-rays. This time we saw the nurse practitioner. She looked and at first saw nothing, but went back and re-read our file. Then, she grabbed all x-rays, and showed me where the radiologist found the break- right on the outside of the elbow! It was pretty much healed, and miraculously healed correctly since it was just in a splint! Apparently, they got the radiologist's reading AFTER my first appointment with them and just tucked it into Tyli's file. She got stuff ready to cast it, and me, being cheap like I am, asked her not to. The cast would come off in less than a week, and I didn't want to pay for them to cast it, take it off, and another follow-up appointment after all the frustration of is it broken or not from the past 3 weeks! So, Tyli wore her splint like a good girl for 3 1/2 weeks, not ever getting her pink cast, on her BROKEN arm. But she was such a good sport about it all, even though it hurt her pretty bad for about the first 2 weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment