Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Our First Field Trip

Hadley, Becca, and Dallin
Parker, Dallin, and McKade saying hello to a fireman all dressed up. I asked them to do this so the children would know what they look and sound like when they come into a fire in case a child is ever trapped. They look and sound scary, so we made sure the children know that they aren't a scary monster- they are our helping friends who are there to save and help us! (Some of the kids still wouldn't go near him though!)

Brad, Parker, Jake, Aiden, Dallin, Becca, Hadley, Ty, me, and McKade with all of our Firemen Friends! The kids thought this was so cool- sitting on the bumper of the fire truck!


October was deemed "Safety Month" by me for my preschool. I thought, why not- we'll be talking about being safe for Halloween anyways. We learned about Stranger Danger, water safety, Fire safety, dangerous things that could be around our houses that we should NOT touch, phone numbers, addresses, and all about 911! The kids had fun, and to top it all off, we went to the Queen Creek Fire Department for a field trip. All the kids were "shell shocked" and didn't ask the million questions we discussed before we left. They were cute, and we were lucky to have my brother-in-law, Brad, who works for the Parks and Rec for the Town of QC and Steph, and their boys join us. I could tell Parker thought it was neat! We got to see everything in and on a fire truck (the kids got to sit inside), we saw their clothing, we saw the inside of the fire station and it was funny listening to the kiddos as they discovered that the firefighters each had a bed to sleep in like they did at home and a kitchen, and a TV. The kids got coloring books and crayons and stickers. (That was the end of the tour for them, as they all sat right down to color- not hearing another word!) It was a great time overall, and I look forward to next year's field trip there. Oh, did I mention that, once again- for the second year in a row, I have the most amazing parents to these preschoolers who are and were so willing to come and help out?

1 comment:

Dawna said...

Looks like a lot of fun - you're such a good teacher! I'm proud of you.