Friday, June 13, 2008

Swim Lessons






Living in Arizona, there is no other option other than putting your kids in swim lessons so they can learn to swim. Our swimming season here lasts about 5 months a year, and most of that time the temperature outside is much higher than the average body temp., so the most comfortable way to live is to swim. It is not easy to keep comfortable in the water while watching 3 small children who are fearless of it, however, so , like any wise person should, I enrolled my kids in swim lessons. Jennifer, my sister-in-law, taught my 2 oldest last year and I have to say, she did an AMAZING job! This year proved to be a little more difficult, as Jennifer is now living very far east of AZ. Aunt Jeni got the honor this year, and my kids loved it! (ok, so McKade screamed for the first week every time he had to go under the water, but since then begs us to go swimming!) They loved the fact that at the end of their lesson, Gavin, Cauley's cousin, would bring out each kid an otter pop. (Tyli even snagged a few!) I, however, sat outside for an hour or so everyday, watching and wishing I could be in the water cooling off with my boys. I think the only thing that saved me was good company (Megan, Jenn, and all the rest of you who shared in our dread for listening to our children screaming!) and giving my non-swimming kiddos a spray bottle filled with water so I could "keep my cool!" Overall, I am sad we are done with swim lessons with Aunt Jeni for the summer. Cauley is going to take over now that he has a few (VERY FEW!) extra minutes and he has experience teaching swim to small kids. (He worked at Swim Kids USA like Jennifer and Stephanie for a summer.) I just love watching Dallin swim under the water, as he LOVES it, and McKade "monkey walking" around the pool, which makes him VERY happy-acting like an orangutan. Tyli, I am afraid for her, as she hasn't had swim lessons yet, but has absolutely NO fear of water, and will willingly walk off the side of the pool or steps. If any of you need a good referance for swim lessons, please call or email me.

1 comment:

San Tan Bullies--Johnson Family said...

I am glad they are having fun swimming. We are having fun swimming too!