Cauley and Jeff (Cauley's younger brother) are off in New Mexico (Mexico if you ask my kids!) having fun. Ok, really, they are having a great time, but Cauley went to coach one of his track athletes in the Southwest National Meet. (The guy who won the state decathlon when I was at home with food poisoning!) Anyways, I was, and still am, determined to make the most of it- especially when I am the one needing a vacation away from my kids. (I will take 15 minutes away- any takers? They really are good kids, I just need some kind of a break.) Anyways, Cauley left early Friday morning and the fun started with Tyli waking up shortly after and running into our room to see "Daddy." The poor thing was heartbroken that her "Daddy" wasn't there. I bargained and after some cereal, milk, and a "crackah," she was ok. Friday went pretty smooth overall. The kids and I spent a few minutes over at Cauley's parents before heading off to Costco to meet up with Brad and Steph. They were really good through Costco, and even made it home without falling asleep. After some lunch, Tyli took a quick nap and the boys helped me clean up. Then we had pizza for dinner. (I bought one at Costco for our "fun" dinner.) We had a movie night, watching "Finding Nemo" again and eating popcorn. They even went to bed good! Then they woke up.
Dallin seemed determined to make everyone scream today, including myself. Tyli found her Independence and is turning out to be a little more than difficult, and McKade just wanted to be loved ALL day. (Nothing wrong with that, I just can't sit and cuddle all day.) Anyways, Tyli was found in the boys' room ripping off the border (wallpaper) where she could reach from Dallin's bed while I washed dishes. Then, about 15 minutes later, after putting "Finding Nemo" back on as a babysitter, I finally got a shower. I should have stayed in. I had just put my shirt back on when I hear Dallin yelling "Mom, Tyli's stinky but doesn't have her diaper on!" (quick check to remember if I had put one on, and I remembered putting one back on and the shorts on as well.) I run to the living room thinking she's in there. No sign of her, just her shorts she had taken off and a stinky diaper in the middle of the floor along with evidence that she had headed to the boy's room. (When I say evidence, I mean I followed the trail of brown stinky stuff on the walls and carpet!) Tyli was not in there any longer, but had definitely been been on the boy's beds again! I followed the trail into her room and found she had climbed into my rocking chair, the baby bouncy seat, and there I found her bouncing along on her zebra my mom gave her for Christmas. BATH TIME! It was a pretty big STINKY mess, but I somehow managed (with help from a package of dried fruit and her booster seat I can tightly strap her into!) to clean everything up in about 45 minutes. No time for a nap, we had to lather up in sunscreen for our ward party. That was a lot of fun- no really it was. I only lasted about an hour, running after all 3 of my kids at a neighborhood park that had kiddie pools set up every 3-4 feet and slip and slides for my kids to stand in the middle of whenever someone came running toward one. I could tell we were all getting burnt, despite my use of half a bottle of "sun lotion." So I put us all back in the stroller and we walked home, only to get even more burnt. Try explaining to a 4 year old why gas costs so much so we have to walk the 2 blocks instead of driving when it's 105 outside! After dinner, we had a great time going shopping for a Father's Day present and then off to Sonic for "Date Night." (Dallin has been asking me forever to take him on a date, so since my husband isn't in town, why not?) We went to Sonic and each of the kids got a milkshake, which are on sale right now for 99 pennies! We had a great time sitting outside, once again, in the HOT weather eating ice cream and playing McKade's favorite game of "I Spy." When we got home, all three were ready for bed, but since it was only 6:30, we read books for an hour before I gave in and let them go to sleep. So, here I sit, feeling very proud of myself that I have survived yet another day without my husband here to laugh with me at our comical children. One more day to go- and this is the real test as tomorrow is the sabbath and I get to go husbandless with my three amigos to church- and yes, we are going the full 3 hours! I just hope he's home when we get home, so maybe I'll be able to make dinner without the help of 6 unhelpful hands!
3 comments:
It seems like I have days like that too when Eliott is out of town. And he goes every other month or so for work. Although I have to say I have never had a "stinky" mess. I am sure I will one day but luckily the poop stays off my carpet and walls. I sure hope he got home and gave you a break!!
The days can be soooo long when the daddy is out of town. Even if things went perfectly smooth (which they rarely do)things can get pretty tiring and monotonous.
*As for sunscreen...try the continuous spray in the blue bottle by coppertone. It's a bit more expensive (there are good generic versions) but sooo worth it. It's a sinch to put on AND my little white boy has NEVER been burned with it on...even after swimming a couple of hours.
I have a husbandless weekend too. Jeremy and Vincent went on a father-son campout! Man it was rough on me, i'm such a wuss about being by myself, let me know if you need someone to watch the kiddos : )
Post a Comment