Sunday, July 22, 2012

California Vacation Day 3!

Day 3 of our vacation had us up early and headed South to San Diego. First stop, Old Town San Diego. Nothing was opened yet and so we sat around and waited for quite a while. We sat, and sat and sat...




Hahaha! Sorry Dad. I HAD to put this one on!

Once thins opened, we made our way around to a few of the buildings. In the print shop I got a job as the type-setter person, as it was one of the only jobs women would be able to have back then. I learned that everything has a place and that I can't read the print they wanted me to set. Haha! Dallin was "hired" as the person to work the printing machine. It was really neat. He got to actually work the oldest butterfly print press in the west! He inked it up and then put it to the paper.

 After we went here we walked around a bit before deciding to head up a block to the Mormon Battalion place. (sorry- can't remember what it's really called.) I cannot tell you how amazing this was! Definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip. I won't ruin it for those who haven't been there yet, but it was semi-interactive. They start by telling a small portion about the LDS Church, leading into the exodus west, which leads into the Mormon Battalion and their journey and purpose. It was really neat! Dallin got picked to go up front in our group to put on the issued "clothing" that each man got from the government. (For those who don't know, the government didn't have enough clothing to outfit the battalion, so most received a $41 clothing allowance which was sent back to their pioneer families to help with the costs of crossing the plains.) The gear Dallin is wearing, everyone received, including the riffle, which they got to keep once they were mustered out.

 After the presentation, the kids got to mine for gold and work a water pump.



 When we were done, we headed down the street to a very yummy, very authentic Mexican restraunt! Seriously, so good!!!
After lunch it was time... Time to head over to Coronado Island to go play at the beach!!! This was my first time playing at the beach, and I can't tell you how fun it was! My mom said her favorite memory of the trip was jumping in the waves with me- which was my favorite too! We laughed so hard! The water was cold, but that didn't stop Halli. Good thing Grandpa kept a tight hold on her! (the riptide kept trying to take her out, and she was happy to let it!) Dallin had a blast on the boogie board! Cauley loved body surfing. McKade didn't enjoy it as much as his hand and scraped knee from the day before hurt in the salt water, but if you ask him now, he LOVED the boogie board! Tyli didn't get to play in the ocean as much because of her broken arm, but she played a lot in the sand and made friends with some kids...surprise, surprise! I really loved just standing in the ocean and letting the water hit me. My mom and I got brave (I am a chicken around water!) and went out far enough that the waves were bigger than us, and we jumped them...most of the time. We played and played and wore ourselves out before calling it a day.

Grandpa keeping Halli up with the boys playing nearby. Can you see Cauley's head out to your right?
One of my favorite pics of mom and dad!

Learning to ride the waves




Looking at the giant ship coming out of the mist. (upper left corner)

Poor girl. This is her set-up for the beach. Sand would have been a nightmare in that cast so we bought some sweat bands which I took 1 and stuffed it part way into the top of her cast and then folded over her cast. The other one went over the top of the first one. Then on went the bags which we taped to her skin with athletic tape. (2 thick bags.) She truly did stay completely dry and sand free! (even after getting covered in a few giant waves!)

No comments: