Friday, November 27, 2009

My not-so traditional Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. It is the one holiday out of the year where I get to chow down on my 2 favorite foods: turkey and stuffing. Not this year!

When I went to bed on Wednesday night I felt like my throat was swelling shut. It hurt to swallow, but I've had a bad cold for over a week now, so a sore throat didn't phase me. (I have been coughing for over a week too, so maybe that's why my throat hurt?) Anyways, I awoke in the early nighttime realizing that I was having a hard time breathing and swallowing. Yep, my throat was swollen, and Holy Cow did it hurt. Cauley got up around 5 am to put the turkey in and I decided that as soon as Urgent Care was open I was headed out.

I got to Urgent Care sometime around 8 am and was immediately seen and swabbed. (throat culture.) Then the nurse took me back and listened to the baby's heartbeat (a policy for that office). Right after she left, the Dr came in wearing a mask. She told me I was positive for strep and then checked me for other things. (I think I only have strep.) The dr said I had a really severe case of strep and wasn't allowed to be around ANYONE for 24 hours. I also wasn't supposed to eat anything I had to chew well for 24 hours as my throat was so swollen I could easily choke on it or it could make me throw up because something about the chewing process and having my throat so swollen. (?) My mind went directly to my favorite feast that was to take place in about 4 hours. I was really bummed- but determined! I got my prescription, then they checked me in and out at the same time, and I went to Walgreens to fill my script. Since I was supposed to be drinking a huge amount of fluids that day, I went and got me a big Caff. Free Diet coke while I waited for my script to be filled. I immediately took the first dose (cause I had my coke!) and drove home and went back to bed.

My family left me with a plate of turkey, a chocolate cream pie and an pumpkin pie and went to Cauley's parent's house for the big feast. I am told they all had a great time eating, going to the park, and eating dessert. They even brought me back a plate with everything on it. I love my husband, but he didn't listen when I told him I wanted a plate with nothing but stuffing on it. Oh well- I had a few good bites of the stuffing he brought me home before I turned my plate over to him to eat the green bean casserole and mashed potatoes and gravy. (they're ok, but when you wait an entire YEAR to eat stuffing and turkey, who wants to eat filler foods?)

No, this wasn't the day I dreamed about for 51 weeks straight since last year, but at least I got my turkey fix. As I lay in bed after waking from an afternoon nap, I thought back on my unfortunate circumstances of the day. I decided to count my blessings instead. Blessing #1- I got to hear my baby's heartbeat again! I have been worried as can be as we have had so many misfortunate circumstances of women losing babies (especially later on in pregnancies) lately in my ward. Even if it did take the nurse a while to find it, the heartbeat was there and it was strong! Blessing #2-I finally got some much needed R&R. Yes, I did spend all day in bed, but I can't even remember the last time I got to stay in bed past 6! I told a friend this last week that all I wanted for Christmas was a pajama day, and I guess my wish came true early. I have been going and going and going since getting this new calling, and I REALLY needed this break! Blessing #3- as I lay there counting my blessings, I felt something very distinct- my baby moving! I have had instances where I thought to myself "was that the baby?" But I was never quite sure. As I lay there, however, I am POSITIVE it was my baby. I finally was taking the time to sit quietly enough to know that my baby is alive and moving inside me- what a miracle I can treasure! I wanted to continue counting my blessings of the day after that, but decided I needed my turkey and pies to fill my growling belly! I ate until I was full, ignoring the UC doctor's orders. (It was pretty hard to swallow the turkey, but worth every bit of pain!) Cauley made the BEST turkey this year and I can't wait for leftover turkey sandwiches! So, even though I only got a 1oth of the stuffing I needed to satisfy me until next Thanksgiving and the turkey was painful to swallow, my day was great. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

PS- I am making me a box of stove top today- not the best, but I can eat it with some leftover turkey. Also, a BIG thank you to all my friends who braved the sunshine and their health to bring me a thanksgiving goody! You guys are the best!

1 comment:

Cauley Clark said...

I believe she said make sure you bring me some stuffing not bring me a plate of stuffing.