Saturday, September 20, 2008

Higley's Beat The Heat 5K



My sister-in-law, Stephanie, and I decided to participate in the 2nd annual Higley High Beat The Heat 5K in August. No, we weren't in shape, and no, we didn't train for it, but we anticipated the date with lots of talk about how our goal was to not come in dead last! We arrived just in time to load up the kiddos into our strollers. (McKade and Parker rode in mine and Bryce rode in his Mamma's while Tyli stayed home with Grandma Kathy and Dallin "helped Cauley" out being the "official" time keeper.) It was hot, and we were all sweating very badly just standing there before the race began, but once the gun went off, it started raining real hard, so I was expecting some relief, but it only got worse. We were only about 1/2 mile into the race when it stopped raining, leaving it more humid than I think I've ever experienced in my life! The race was fun, but hot, and after it was over, Cauley showed me that I pushed a stroller with 2 flat tires. I think the theme for the race for Steph and I was "It's building character!" We laughed a lot- almost too much for what we were supposed to be accomplishing. My favorite quote of the night came from Stephanie as we were running over to get ready to start the race (we were still trying to get kids in the stroller when they were trying to start) she said, "Hurry, take a picture! This is the most running you'll see from us tonight!" One lady laughed, but everyone else looked at us like we were crazy. Good times! Oh yah, I almost forgot, I set a new PR- ok, so it was the first time I have ever done a 5K, so that counts, right? And by the way, we did NOT come in last place- by about 30 people!

1 comment:

Jen said...

good for you! I can't run pushing a stroller. Way to go on not being last! that is always my goal too!