Friday, April 25, 2008

Results from the EIP

So the Deveolpmental Specialist from Children and Family Services for the state came today. Talk about driving me crazy! She had me put out my preschool chairs all around my living room (WAYYYY NOT SAFE! They tip over when Tyli stands on them, resulting in bloody lips and bruised heads- the only way they can be is out against the wall or the couches like in preschool.)) and put a bunch of other toys out so she could see how Tyli "interacted and climbs" with things. Of course, if you know my daughter at all, you know she is too stubborn to do anything but sit on my lap when there is a "stranger" in the room, so what do you think she did- sat on my lap looking at this lady like she was crazy thinking Tyli would get down and go play. Apperantly I was being out of line by asking Tyli to go climb on the chairs like this lady wanted her to, because I was asked to stop. Tyli never did, but she did get down and play with some blocks for a little while. Then the nice lady made Tyli hold her hand and walk to her toy zebra so she could see how Ty did at riding it. Tyli wouldn't stop screaming. It wasn't a long visit, after that the nice lady just told me that nothing physically is wrong; The results were that I spoil my daughter too much and that she should start walking within a few months. Then she told me I need to start putting my preschool chairs around the house so she can practice climbing which was said as Tyli climbed onto the couch next to me. (Much higher than those chairs!) Tyli is actually begining to walk, taking between 3-7 steps here and there. She'll stand in the middle of the floor and do "Once there was a snowman" during preschool and even will just stand up to "shake he booty!" Needless to say, I didn't appriciate this visit at all and I most certainly won't be letting her free climb on the preschool chairs!

3 comments:

Aaron and Kira Adams said...

I would not let what she said bother you. It is hard for someone to come in once and see what the problem is. Walking comes on their terms and Emma was about 15 months old before she was walking. She was just stubborn. But it is nice to know that there is nothing physically wrong with her. And I agree about the chairs... she does not need to be climbing on them and take a nice spill! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Jen said...

Wow sounds like a nice uplifting visit!! at least she is trying! i am sure she will pick it up soon enough. lexi was 16 months and lydia looks like she will follow in her footsteps (ha ha) good luck!

Just US said...

What a crazy visit! I agree with the other two comments - don't let it bother you. Cambree also was a late walker. She did not even walk along furniture or anything normal. One day between 15 and 16 months old, she stood up in the middle of the floor, took 3 steps, clapped for herself, and then sat down. She has NEVER done something before she was ready to do it whole-heartedly and it sounds like Tyli just might have the same type of personality.